ICARUS Croatia in collaboration with ICARUS, the project E-ROUTES, the State Archives in Šibenik and other partners will host the 8th issue of the ICARUS Croatia Days under the title Enhancing Heritage Experience – Exploring Cultural Routes on 23-24 March 2023 in Šibenik/HR.
The conference is organised within framework of the Creative Europe project Time travel routes through Europe – E-ROUTES and addresses the growing need to present and promote scattered cultural heritage and contemporary artistic production related to travel experience in Europe both in the past and in the present time. Following the idea that modern travellers seek quality information with added value such as points of interest, natural, cultural, and historical monuments valuable for visits along the route, the conference objective is to connect international professionals in cultural, heritage, tourist and educational sectors, and academia. The aim is to provide a forum for delivering new approaches and best practices in engaging the public through GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Museums) collections which can be used in the context of cultural tourist routes.
The conference’s overall theme is addressing the exploration of cultural routes for modern travellers in view of preservation and promotion of cultural and linguistic diversity within the European cultural heritage. In that respect it will focus on several broader sub-themes that can serve as the starting points of interest for the potential contributors. The main aspect of the conference is to open a discussion between researchers, practitioners, curators, librarians, archivists, and artists about new approaches in presenting European travel routes to the widest possible audience, so some of proposed sub-themes include the following (the list is not exhaustive):
- Cultural tourism: best practices in engaging the public through cultural heritage, revealing heritage for modern travellers and its cultural interpretation;
- Storytelling routes of cultural heritage;
- GLAM collections: reuse, promotion, revitalization of GLAM collections and the cultural tourism industry,
- Audience development and engagement;
- Travelling along cultural routes: opportunities for intersectoral collaboration and development;
- Presentation of the artistic material in GLAM institutions related to the topic with common inter-cultural denominations;
- Development of digital collections and their connection with other existing digital libraries or archives;
- Digital technologies: digitization and digital preservation of cultural heritage in the context of cultural routes and tourism;
- Development of tools like web and mobile applications for presenting the travel routes for contemporary audiences;
- Intercultural dialogue and the context of cultural tourism.
Format and Submission of Papers
The organisers are looking for abstracts of papers (max. 500 words) on the above or similar topics that clearly have connections with the overall theme and objectives of the conference. You are invited to submit your proposals in English, including the name(s) of author(s), professional affiliation, contact information, title of the paper, abstract, and up to eight keywords through the submission form.
Deadline for submission of proposals: 15 January 2023
Authors of accepted and rejected papers will be notified by 1 February 2023.
The authors of accepted proposals will present their papers live at the conference venue in Šibenik, Croatia during the conference days. Conference participants cover the travel expenses and other costs of participation.